Whether you want to run some errands, take stuff to and from your workplace, or just hitch up the camper for some good-old outdoor adventure, a pick-up truck is what you need. Perfect for towing equipment and carrying heavy loads, the robust powertrain of a pickup and the ample space of the utility bed is enough to get going. But few pickup-trucks can possess the features and dynamism of the F-150 SVT Lightning 2003. Below is a brief rundown of this amazing monster truck.
History of F-150 SVT Lightning:
1. I generation
The SVT was first introduced officially to the public in 1992, during the famous Chicago Auto Show. The Lightning was first offered to the public in two colors, namely black and red. During 1994 and 1995, the color white was added to the mix. The first generation models of this truck came with a standard cab short bed and employed the already existing 351cid Windsor engine. However, as expected from the ingenious team at Ford, the engine was fitted with high flow rate GT40 heads and employed hypereutectic pistons for an elevated level of durability, performance, and response.
2. II generation
Starting from 1999, the truck started to receive a number of upgrades. Not only did the airflow get better but it also began yielding an added 20 horsepower, reaching 380hp in 2001. The Torque also enhanced to 450 ft-lbs. As a consequence, 0-100 km/h (or 0-60 mph) times dropped to 5.8 seconds. The truck came with an aluminum driveshaft, and a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio. The function of Mono-tube Bilstein shocks was to provide better handling. The passenger side shock was also repositioned in front of the axle to alleviate axle-wrap. Below were some other additions made to the truck:
- New tires, Eagle F1-GS tires with fresh rubber compound.
- New wheels, headlamps, corner lamps, fog lamps, and tail lamps.
- Contemporary clear front lens.
- The third brake lamp mounted on the roof of the truck, consists of a spindle LED row.
- Newly designed upper and lower grill.
Over the years, many colors were introduced such as silver was added to the lineup in 2000 and a very dark version of blue- true blue was added in 2002. But the true blue version was quickly replaced with a lighter Sonic Blue in the following year. Along with Sonic Blue, 2003 also saw the unveiling of the Dark Shadow Grey color.
Due to diminishing demands, the model was discontinued in 2004. There are 28,124 total second-generation Lightning’s manufactured between 1999 and 2004.
Features of F-150 SVT Lightning 2003:
There are several impressive features that the Lightning boasts of. Check out some of the most noticeable features below:
- The truck came with a fully re-designed five-spoke alloy wheel.
- The truck also came with satin-chrome interior door handles.
- Given the fresh suspension tuning, the vehicle’s payload rating was 1350 pounds.
- Lightning employs a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8, providing a lethal 380 horsepower (with a two-valve SOHC head), despite having a regular cab, short-bed pickup structure.
- The vehicle does not have much weight make, which makes for an enjoyable, easy ride.
- The vehicle has 13.7-seconds e.t.s and runs 0-100 km/h (or 0-60 mph) in 5.2 seconds.
- All the 2003 models come with a noise control package, which is why Ford F-150 is much quieter than its other pickup-counterparts. With a total of 75 improvements, the truck offers a 10-percent quieter ride.
- Audio system options extend to a cassette/CD player and an in-dash six-CD changer. All 2003 F-150s now have the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) systems attached as standard equipment.
- Ford F-150 is more car-like in its function. With the handy bed that comes attached, the truck has continually transformed more and more into a sedan.
Price of F-150 SVT Lightning 2003
Being the world’s best-selling truck, Lightning is a good investment. Even though it can cost a lot for being a regular cab, half-ton pickup, it is worth every penny, given the amazing horsepower/dollar ratio it provides. The MSRP(manufacturer’s suggested retail price) of F-150 SVT Lightning 2003 is around $33,310.
Scale model cars
The Ford F-150 SVT Lightning has been produced at different scales as a Toy by Maisto (scale 1/21) or Jada Toys (scale 1/24) and finally in a high end model by DNA Collectibles at scale 1/18.
You can find this high quality replica car in three different colors on this page. The colors and limited series are the following:
– Vermilion Red: 399 pcs
– Sonic Blue: 299 pcs
– Ebony Black: 299 pcs
In 2004, Ford launched the heritage edition of F-150, to commemorate 100 years of Ford Motor Company and celebrate the history and legacy of the enterprise. In October 2019, an F-150 STX Edition was also made available. The King Ranch models came with chrome tubular running boards, a six-disc in-dash CD changer, and woodgrain bezels.
When the II generation truck was first launched in 1999, it was touted instantaneously as the fastest pickup truck, and for good reason. The truck made an official record by touching over 236 km/h (147 mph) on a test track. A far cry from your conventional pickup, this one was the brainchild of the ingenious team at Ford and aptly distinguishes itself among other pickups.
Check out this review we found on Youtube! It is full of nice information, especially if you decide to buy the real car.